Saturday, April 7, 2012

Juice Fast Day Two

Fast Juice
My daughter, Marisa, and I are doing the fast together and it is interesting to see the differences in how our bodies are responding to it.

The first day she was very tired and I had plenty of energy.  On day two though, the tables were turned--and worse!

I woke up with a headache, but nothing I couldn't handle.  We had planned to go the the farmer's market close to home, and run a few more errands.  I never made it out of the house--well not until about 9:30 pm to get toilet paper and movies.  She braved the real world and went to lunch at Chili's with a friend and took green juice as her lunch!  Not only did she chance going to a restaurant on day two, she also walked there.

My headache got progressively worse throughout the morning.  I tried to nap through it, put ice bags on my head, made it dark in the house, and then around 1pm I finally broke down and took some Excedrin because it was excruciating!  It didn't get rid of it completely, but it was tolerable and I could function again.

I read that sugar could make headaches worse, and the wonderful breakfast juice I made very possibly could have been the culprit.

Heavenly Pineapple Orange Strawberry Apple Juice
1/3 Pineapple
1 Sweet Apple (I used an Oh My Gosh Apple)
3 strawberries
1 Orange
1/2 inch ginger.

It was frothy and made about 18 ounces of juice. The rest of the day I drank 30oz of green juice and for dinner an 11oz salad in a glass that Marisa made.  I'll have to get the recipe from her.  It had beet, tomato, garlic, onion...and I'm not sure what else.
Juice Art by Marisa Zocco
I made another broth last night with yesterday's pulp.  I added a lot more spices this time.  My neighbor came over for a visit and she said, "if you guys are on a juice fast, why does it smell like hamburger helper in here." I don't eat Hamburger Helper much anymore (it's probably been at least a year if not two) but right now, the lasagna flavor sounds delicious.

It did smell lovely in the house all day yesterday. Marisa made a tea with the pulp from the morning juice and it smelled like we were baking apple pie.  The tea was nice too.  More flavorful than the herbal teas we bought at the store.

I was hungrier than I was on the first day of the fast.....but I also sipped on my juices rather than sucking them down quickly which may have been a part of it, but it also may just be the nature of the fast.

I am a little concerned about day three, since the headache from day two was so severe and day three is when you are supposed to feel most miserable.  I did increase my water intake--hopefully this will help flush out toxins an make me feel less bad.

We ended the day by giving each other head and shoulder massages which got rid of the lingering headache I had.  Thank you Marisa!

Onto day three!







No comments:

Post a Comment